We offer classes throughout the year that are designed to encourage spiritual growth as well as provide practical instruction on how to get the most out of life. Classes are also great opportunities to connect with others! Here's our current lineup:
Next class begins Fall of 2013
SEEK---for the "skeptical but curious"
SEEK is an informal 10-week class led by Charles Park and John Furste that provides a safe space to explore spirituality for those who might be "skeptical but curious" when it comes to faith. It provides plenty of opportunities to ask questions and engage in friendly discussions with a consistent group of people. Each evening includes a casual dinner, a thought-provoking talk, and a relaxed group discussion. There is no cost for SEEK.
Is SEEK right for you?
- Are you wondering how faith might play a greater role in your life?
- Are you curious about Jesus but would NOT describe yourself as a Christian?
- Are you interested in the idea of connecting with God, but unsure how to pursue it?
Here's what other New Yorkers say about our SEEK Class:
- "A fun, intellectual and non-threatening way to explore faith..."
- "Open and welcoming to everyone - no matter what type of religion..."
- "It's a class where people can explore their faith (or lack of) in a loving, non-judgmental way..."
- "The best place in NYC to get connected with God in an easy and real way..."
- "It helped me to get more in touch with my spirituality, feel closer to God..."
- "Concise but thoughtful discussion topics that would be insightful for anybody..."
Topics Covered in SEEK include:
- Why would I want to consider faith in Jesus?
- Can I really interact with God today?
- How can I build and sustain great relationships?
- How can I get the best stuff from the Bible?
- Does God do miracles today?
Give it a try!
SEEK begins in the Fall of 2013. You're welcome to check out SEEK on the first two weeks to see if it's a fit for you. (after that we ask that you'd wait until the next time its offered)
2 Ways To Sign-Up: Enter your name & email at riverNYC.org/SEEK -OR- Email us at SEEK@riverNYC.org.
Next class: Sunday, August 11
101: Intro to the River
You'll hear the story of how the church got started, find out why we do things the way we do and have a chance to get any questions answered.
Who is "River 101" for?
- Anyone who is new to the River
- Anyone who wants to know the vision & values of the church
- Anyone who is curious about the "inside scoop" on how the church got started
- Anyone who desires to learn what the River is all about
- Anyone who is considering getting more involved
Our next River 101 Class is Sunday, August 11 @ 11:45am. Please email for more info: mail@riverNYC.org.
next session begins Fall 2013
River 201: Pathway to Partnership
We call our members "River Partners" and this 8 week course on spiritual maturity is our pathway to River Partnership (membership). We'll talk about what it means to "take on the story of God in our lives" by looking at 7 important areas of spiritual development:
- The Bible
- Church Life
Who is "River 201" for?
- Anyone who is ready to invest in their Spiritual Growth
- Anyone who wants to know the River's take on Spiritual Formation
- Anyone who feels that the River is their "home church"
- Anyone who wants to find out more about becoming a River Partner.
What Happens at "River 201"?The class: Every week the class will cover topics of spiritual formation for people who are interested in growing in their relationship with God. The class includes a teaching time, discussion in small groups, and individual Reflection Exercises. There is no cost and attending the class does not obligate you to become a River Partner.
River 201 meets from 3:00-4:30pm on Sundays. Space is limited and pre-registration is required. For more info please email: CenteredLife@riverNYC.org.
God Encounter Workshop
The New Testament describes in vivid detail a wide array of miracles that Jesus performed during his time on earth. He even trained his disciples to do the same. But did you know that many miraculous events continued after he was gone? It seems that supernatural activity was not an uncommon experience for followers of Christ. Our aim with the God-Encounter Workshop is to explore this interesting area of spirituality.
Who is the "God-Encounter Workshop" for?
- anyone interested in the supernatural aspects of God
- those who are curious about the possibility of the miraculous
- anyone longing for an experience of God's presence & power
- those who desire a safe place to explore a spiritual encounter
What happens at the "God-Encounter Workshop"?
These exciting times will include an instructional talk, extended prayer, worship, hearing from God and even healings. We'll be seeking to experience God's presence, to be empowered by his Spirit and to be equipped to use spiritual gifts.
When & Where?
Stay tuned for more info
Next class: April, 2014
Marriage Primer - premarital class
The "Marriage Primer" offers a safe and practical opportunity to invest in your relationship using materials Saving Your Marriage Before It Starts" by Drs. Les & Leslie Parrot. In each of the 4 classes participants will hear from married couples on themes of building a strong marriage. (The "Marriage Primer" is required for couples who wish to be married by a River pastor.)
For more details on the Marriage Primer please email Sara@riverNYC.org.